Monday, December 3, 2007

Tale of an Annoying Boss

Boss is at the reception desk, which is about 5 feet away from my desk. Boss is assisting a client with paperwork. Boss has been helping client for about 15 minutes. I can hear everything boss and client are discussing. Boss knows this as boss has included me in parts of the conversation. Phone rings. I answer. Call is for boss.

me: It's Bob Bobbers - do you wanna talk to him or should I tell him you'll call him back?
boss: Can you tell him I'll call him back? I'm meeting with a client right now.

Oh. Is that what you're doing? I had no idea.
Really. Boss says it like I have no clue. Perhaps boss wanted me to tell Bob Bobbers, "boss is with a client." But Bob Bobbers doesn't need to know why boss can't take his call.

Boss did something similar awhile ago whilst an auditor was in our office. I answered the phone. Call was for boss. It was the director of one of our programs. Boss was on another line. As per usual, when someone important calls I let boss know - even if boss is on another line.

me: Big Wig is on the other line. Wanna take the call or should I tell him you'll call him back?
boss: (suddenly talking loud enough for auditor to hear) Big Wig is the director of the ABC program - I'll take his call.

No shit? I had no idea Big Wig directed that program. Thanks for pointing that out, twit.

Fortune: Working out the kinks today will make for a better tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading your story about your boss leaves me thinking you're just a little thin skinned. Both examples the boss could easily have been making the comment to explain to the other party why he took the action he did rather than (as you assume) to insult your intelligence. He may have also been making the statements to justify to himself his decision and not meaning to convey any information to you at all, just thinking to himself.

Obviously I don't know the whole situation, but based on reading this one blog entry it seems like you are being too sensitive about it.