Monday, July 30, 2007

Another Rant

While I was away for the weekend, a young man lost his life while speeding through our small Wallingford Square. I feel for the family, friends, and others in his life (I wholeheartedly do - I know the sadness and pain of dealing with an unexpected death, especially the unexpected death of young person - and I understand mourners need to grieve), but I'm a little pissed off about the memorial that has popped up at the crash site.
Aside from the fact that the young man died there, (he didn't live there - why do those that know/knew/didn't know him feel the need to commemorate him there?) he also narrowly missed at least 2 pedestrians there. That's the site where 2 more meaningless deaths might have happened. That's the site where a thoughtless guy drove recklessly (60 mph in a 25 mph zone) - endangering other people's lives. I feel it's disrespectful to Kittery residents that this young man is being memorialized at the spot where others could have been badly hurt or killed by his actions. That's my route home - my friends' and neighbors' route home.
One of the pedestrians who wasn't seriously hurt was a neighbor - he was sprayed with glass from the crash. (The guy walking with him supposedly got glass in his eyes.) I'm sorry Justin Harding lost his life in such an awful way, but I don't think his memorial belongs in the square.

No comments: