Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For...

The rumor turned out to be true. Boss -yes, the annoying one- is transferring out of the office! In 2 weeks! Hooray! Hurrah!

Of course, it can't be utterly blissful news because of the flipside. Which is: we are getting a tough boss. Very good for business. And hopefully good for us employees and our clients. But coworker is concerned about new boss.

We are both familiar with new boss. I've worked with new boss via telephone. Coworker has actually trained a couple of new boss's employees (in new boss's old office). Hence, coworker has seen new boss in full on boss-mode. Coworker says new boss wasn't very nice to one staff member. Coworker has always been glad to leave new boss's office after a training session.

I know new boss is going to be an asset. Work will get done. Questions will get answered. There will be communication. There will be listening. Instuction will be given without a bunch of gibberish and nonsense thrown in. There won't be ignorance. Oh my gosh - I can't wait for that!

Will the dress code become more strict? Will time off be harder to take? Will a big fuss be made if you need to adjust your schedule for an appointment? Or are ten minutes late? Will we be unable to use the "bonus time off" we are given!? Those are the little things I'm worried about.

When I heard the rumors that boss might be transferring, I started to think what it would be like to have a "normal" person as a boss. I wondered how I'd feel if new boss was all the things I wanted personality wise, but was a demanding micro-manager. I dunno. I decided I would rather have the non-ignorant, non-phoney boss. I don't mind working hard at all, but I don't won't to lose the bonus time off we get either because of a boss who feels it's necessary to always crack the whip.

*Why is the spellcheck in Blogger not working? It's been this way for about a week now.

Fortune: Your secret desire to completely change your life will manifest.
(gulp)

No comments: