Monday, February 18, 2008

Other Vintage Textiles


A couple of aprons found at a yard sale this summer. I actually picked up 4 for $3. The others were a child's apron (or a tiny woman's cocktail apron tho' the ties seem rather short for that)and a man's grilling apron, which I gave to boyfriend as part of his birthmas present (he's an x-mas baby). Need to get a picture of him in that. It's a funny apron.
All but the tiny one had stains, which I ended up cleaning with a clorox bleach pen. Freaked me out (but not in a nauseous way) to touch 'em and have 'em around with the stains and all, but since they were all in good shape I had no problem tossing them into the washing machine over and over. Probably shouldn't have, but I did because, as I said in the previous post, I think old should be used not just saved in some closet or drawer.
I like the santa apron because of all its pockets. I have worn it to the beach. Um, not with my bathing suit on - in regular beach combing garb. The pockets are perfect for holding all kinds of beach treasures. I kinda wish I could get away with wearing it out in public - as opposed to the beach combing public. I probably could, if I were daring enough.
The budweiser one is neat in a white trash sort of way. I like that it's unisexual.
I love this old blanket. It has many torn/worn missing squares. I'm not sure if mum made this or it's from another one of her aunts. It was probably made in the 60's or 70's. Most of the squares are so soft. I used to use this as a beach blanket but felt guilty about not returning it to mum's closet. Eventually I did return it but while cleaning out the closet this weekend I reclaimed it since it's just been wadded up with a number of unused blankets (see quilt in previous post).

I suppose this will become a beach/picnic blanket, too. It was also found during the closet clean out. This was the bedspread mum made me when I was a wee one in the 70's. She made my sissy a matching one. It's made out of some of our old clothing and other random pieces of fabric. I have no problem using and machine washing either of these blankets (I just won't wash 'em very much - kinda gross, but whatevah). I think they deserve to be held close and to be seen.

Fortune: Frequent conversations will fill your heart with joy.

1 comment:

Stephani said...

Great stuff! I enjoyed your blog and will be back!

Cheers

Michael