Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I charm you and tell you of the boys I hate

All the girls I hate
All the words I hate
The clothes I hate
How I'll never be anything I hate
You smile, mention something that you like
Oh, how you'd have a happy life
If you did the things you like
"Dark of the Matinee" Franz Ferdinand

Until recently, I would have described myself as a runner. When I lived in Atlanta (5 years ago) I ran about 25 miles a week. I tried winter running the first couple of years here, but I was not liking it with all the ice and frigid temps and whatnot. I trained for a half marathon last February until the race on May 13th. As soon as it was over, I wanted a break from the regimented, required running. Then something happened - my metabolism finally kicked into high gear. (I had been hoping to drop 10 pounds during the training, but wound up dropping 2.) I lost my appetite and dropped 10 pounds. Needless to say, without much of an appetite, I wasn't running. When I did get my appetite back, I ran a bit and then got an awful cold. I was completely congested. After that, I was sent to the mountains in Colorado for two weeks for work. Have you ever tried high altitude running? It's tough for me. Anyhow, to get to the end of this long story - I didn't do much running in the fall and none during the winter. I haven't been running. Haven't been in the mood - or craved it - at all lately.
I do walk, sometimes, and I like walking - but I've become a slow walker. And it's so much easier to stay home and sit on my butt (and search for a better job). But now, now I have motivation!
Z, meet iPod. iPod, meet Z.
I really move while listening to music and walking. I used to never like to listen to music when I walked or ran. When I listen to the Franz Ferdinand CD I want to move and bounce around. The walking while listening to the music is a good fit now. I could stay home and listen to music. I could go for a walk. Or I can do both together! It's made me want to go out walking after work.
I feel a little weird about not running anymore. I want to still say I am a runner...but am I? I'm not sure if I only ran to keep my weight in line. But in a way, it's why I walk now. I guess also because the docs say exercise is good for you. I dunno. Maybe I will crave it again. Maybe walking will bore me again - I started running many years ago when I was bored with walking.
Whatever. I'm glad to be motivated today.

*I don't know why, but I started thinking about this guy that lived in the town where I grew up. He was called "the walking man" because we (everyone) would see him walking around town. I think it's interesting that back then (late 70's to early 80's) a man was considered eccentric because he walked everywhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... Maybe you need some Hall & Oats mp3s too so when you walk by the house you can start singing, "Ohhhhh, here she comes. Watch out boy, she'll chew you up!"

;p

Z said...

Put this in your mp3 playah, you.
I don't walk by his house on my walk.