Saturday, March 3, 2007

Before & After

This is my second winter in my little cottage - 572 square feet. The picture above is how she looked when I moved in Halloween 2005. There was something about the red that was too dark. Especially with the interior being so bright and airy. You can't see, but the front and back doors were painted red, too. I didn't like it ringed around the windows, either. And if you look closely, you'll see that the shutters were too long, except on one of the windows. This photo also shows pretty much the whole five hundredths of an acre I own - if you ever really can own a house.
This is how she looked yesterday morning. I'm still not done with the transformation - I have to put the flower boxes back up, which I painted a green similar to the doors. I'm still not sure if I like the green. I'm also not sure what to do about the old paint/new paint line. I've gone up about as far as my ladder will allow.

I almost like the house in the top picture better, but I think it's because of the sunshine. The bottom picture looks pretty dern drab. Is it the house or the grey winter morning light? I'll have to take another picture in the spring from the same angle. Maybe she looks a little plain without her red lipstick...I dunno. I like her better without shutters.

3 comments:

Mama 2 1+.5 said...

Suzanne, your house looks really cute. i wish i could see the green door better..take another photo of it. :)

Anonymous said...

I think the snow is just washing out the white in the second photo, hunny. Plus, it's not as sunny out. My two cents. ; p

Barbara Norris said...

It's definitely the sunshine! Your house made me nostalgic for the little house I lived in for four years when I left my husband. My contribution to the house was landscaping. I dragged home rocks and made a rock garden; I planted a purple clematis. It looked very loved. Your window boxes will be beautiful!